- Focus Area Education
- Focus Area Health
- Focus Area Housing & Economic Development
- Focus Area Civic Engagement/Leadership
We are the Portland African American Leadership Forum! To learn more about who we are please visit the tabs along the right side of this page, starting with About PAALF or our four focus areas above.
We, in all our diversity as Black people, are a connected, thriving, resilient Black Community
…because we have honored the sacrifice, the tradition, and the wisdom of the generations before us,
…because we have protected the potential, the innocence, and the power of the generations after us,
…because we have upheld our responsibility to preserve our self-determination and build the humanity of one another.
The Portland African American Leadership Forum leverages the power of our community’s combined resources to advance the vision of a connected thriving, resilient Black Community.
We do this by:
- Convening the Black Community to discuss issues of importance, share ideas, foster collaboration and engage democratically in PAALF
- Facilitating strategic interaction and cooperation among Black organizations and individuals towards a unified action agenda
- Promoting civic engagement and political participation and leadership by Black people
- Advocating for and proposing effective public policy solutions to the challenges facing the Black Community (in education, housing, economic development, civic engagement, administration of justice and other areas) in a manner that builds self-determination and accountability of institutions, eliminates racial disparities
- Developing transformative leadership skills and capacity amongst the Black Community
- Collecting data, engaging in research and publishing reports that provide an ongoing analysis and evaluation of the condition of the Black Community
- Supporting community efforts to preserve and enhance the historical and cultural contributions of Black people
- Applying a community centered, anti-oppression, non-violence lens to all our work